Cold and flu season is upon us.
If you’re looking for ways to boost your immunity, here they are:
- Remember that post about proper sleep? It’s super important now. Give your immune system a fighting chance and get your rest.
- Water. I cannot stress how important drinking enough water is to your overall health.
- 80% of your immune system is in your gut. Our systems are filled with billions of bacteria – some good, some bad. The trick is, not to feed the bad guys. Sugar is literally a fertilizer for bad bacteria. Whether you’re fighting a cold, the flu, cancer, or candida, you need to starve the bad bugs of sugar (which includes most processed foods) At the same time, you want to “bulk up” your good bacteria. Things like fermented foods, probiotics, and garlic will do this. Kefir is an awesome fermented food. If you’re purchasing it, (as opposed to making your own) purchase it from a reputable Health Food Store and ask the nutritionist on staff for advice. Other fermented food sources include miso, tempeh, and sauerkraut. Again, purchase organic, from a local HFS, or make your own.
Always purchase a refrigerated probiotic. Ask for it at your local HFS and take it FAITHFULLY to build that good bacteria. It will give you a fighting chance this winter.
- Garlic – eat it every day! Always choose fresh, organic garlic. Once minced, let it sit for about 10 minutes to activate the allicin. Don’t scorch it in the pan. Cook it gently to get all of the benefits of this natural antibiotic.
- Add antioxidants – preferably in your diet. Add frozen blueberries to your morning oatmeal in the morning. FYI “fresh” berries this time of year do not exist in our part of the world. In this case, choose frozen to avoid a chemical ____storm.
- Exercise massages your lymph and keeps it flowing. Make sure to get 30 min of exercise each and every day. Rebounding is great for the lymphatic system. If you have one of those little trampolines, get it out and have some fun bouncing around for 10 minutes each day. Your lymphatic system will thank you.
- If you’re considering a supplement, you can’t go wrong with ACES plus zinc. Many of us are deficient in zinc and it’s important for our immune, and many other functions. Basically, ACES plus zinc contains antioxidants and a bit of zinc. Kind of an insurance policy.
- Of course, eating a balance diet is always important. Lots of leafy greens and other veggies, some protein, complex carbs, and essential fatty acids will keep your system happy and running smoothly.
Oh, and did I mention water? DRINK YOUR WATER!
These tips will keep your body safe from cold and flu season with ease! All you have to do is follow through with them.